May 12, 2011

Danapal Veerasamy Ponniah successfully qualifies to become India’s 3rd FIBA Commissioner



Danapal Veerasamy Ponniah, who has been a national referee in India since 1986 and an influential force in Tamil Nadu basketball, has successfully qualified as an International Commissioner for FIBA on May 10th, 2011 after a FIBA-Asia Clinic for Commissioners Candidates in Erbil (Iraq) from May 3-5. Ponniah is only the third International FIBA Commissioner from India.

“This is a lifetime dream come true for me,” said Ponniah, “Now, I have to be ready to be called upon for any FIBA event. I am honoured and I will do my best.”

There are 37 FIBA commissioners from Asia. Ponniah joins Naresh Chander Aneja and Norman Swaroop Isaaac as the only three from India.

“My name was recommended for candidacy after my work as a national referee and as a referee, commissioner, and coach for the Tamil Nadu Basketball Association (TNBA),” Ponniah added, “A test was held to test the chosen candidates who have all been associated with international FIBA activity.”

The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) is an association of national organizations which governs international competition in basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment